Reshuffle of Eighth Formation(2009)
Prime Minister and Minister of Defense
H.H Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum
View the Biography
On January 4th, 2006, His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum became the Ruler of Dubai following the death of Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum.
Since becoming the Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE, and Ruler of Dubai, groundbreaking initiatives have been rolled out at an astonishing rate .
The year 2007 witnessed unique achievements for Sheikh Mohammed both locally and regionally. On April 17th, 2007, Sheikh Mohammed unveiled the UAE Government Strategy Plan with the aim of achieving sustainable development throughout the country, investing federal resources more efficiently and ensuring due diligence, accountability and transparency across federal bodies.
The foundation's aim is to promote human development by investing in education and the development of knowledge in the region by cultivating future leaders in both the private and public sectors, promoting scientific research, spreading knowledge, encouraging business leadership, empowering youth, renewing the concept of culture, preserving heritage and promoting platforms of understanding among various cultures.
• Head of Dubai Police and Public Security 1 November 1968 . • Minister of Defence December 1971 . • Crown Prince of Dubai 4 January 1995 . • Ruler of Dubai 4 January 2006 . • Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE 11 February 2006 .
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior
H.H Sheikh Saif Bin Zayed Al Nahyan
His Highness Sheikh Saif Bin Zayed Al Nahyan has been appointed as Deputy Prime Minister in May 2009 in addition to his position as Minister of Interior in the United Arab Emirates. Prior to his ministerial appointment in October 2004, his highness occupied several leadership positions. He was the Deputy Director of the Capital Police in 1994-1995 before becoming the Director General of the Abu Dhabi Police on October23, 1995. On December 25, 1997 His Highness became the Under Secretary of the Ministry of Interior, retaining this position until his appointment as Minister of interior in 2004.
On Decemner30, 2004 he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General. He was re-elected Minster of Interior in the Government formed by H.H Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minster of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai.
H.H Lt. General Sheikh Saif Bin Zayed Al Nahyan is a pioneer in the realm of change and development in police work and his mark is evident through the many achievements realized in recent years.
He has contributed significantly to the advancement of administrative and security work of the ministry through launching and ensuring the implementation of the Five-year plan for the Ministry of Interior. His achievement in the realm of Police and Security includes launching the Community Police Project in 2003, founding the Ministry of Interior's center for rehabilitating persons with special needs in 2002 and the Social support center,. He also oversaw the restructuring of the Abu Dhabi Police.
His Highness obtained a BSc in Political Science (with a specialization In Political and Administrative Sciences) from the United Arab Emirates University in Al Ain. After graduating from the university he joined the Police college in the second foundation session for graduates in 1990 .
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Presidency Affairs
H.H Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan
• His Highness Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed was born in Abu Dhabi in 1970.• After receiving his high school diploma through the Abu Dhabi school system, His Highness continued his studies in the United States , where he was awarded his Bachelor's degree in International Relations in 1993.• In 1997, HH Sheikh Mansour was appointed Chairman of the Office of his late father, HH Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan, and held this post until Sheikh Zayed's demise in November 2004.• In May 2009, with the formation of the new Cabinet, HH Sheikh Mansour was appointed Deputy Prime Minister. This is in addition to the position he has held since November 2004 of Minister of Presidential Affairs, created following the amalgamation of The Office of HH the President and The Presidential Court to form the Ministry of Presidential Affairs.• HH Sheikh Mansour now holds the title of Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Presidential Affairs.• His Highness was appointed as Chairman of the Ministerial Council for Services, which is considered a ministerial entity attached to the Cabinet, comprising a number of ministers heading the Services Departments. • In 2007, HH Sheikh Mansour was appointed Chairman of the Emirates Investment Authority, which is considered a federal mechanism to invest financially on behalf of the federal government.• In 2005, HH Sheikh Mansour was appointed Deputy Chair of the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC). • Since 2006, His Highness has been Chair of the Abu Dhabi Judicial Department (ADJD).• In 2005, HH Sheikh Mansour was appointed Chair of the Emirates Foundation.• Since 2005, His Highness has been chairing the Abu Dhabi Fund for Development, which awards soft loans and grants for developing countries.• HH Sheikh Mansour has been the Chairman, since 2005, of the Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority, which has become an institute of excellence in food safety. • Since 2000, His Highness has chaired the National Centre for Documentation and Research.• From 2007, HH has been chairing Khalifa bin Zayed Charity Foundation. Since 2005, His Highness has been Chairman of the Board of Directors for Abu Dhabi 's International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC). In that same year, he was also appointed both as a member of the Supreme Petroleum Council and as a member of the Board of Directors of Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA) .
Minister of Finance
H.H Sheikh Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum
View the Biography
Internal Medicine and Surgery from the Royal British College-Glasgow.
His Highness Sheikh Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum is currently holding the position of Deputy Ruler of the Emirate of Dubai. His Highness had been holding the position of Minister of Finance since the first formation of the cabinet on the 9 th of December, 1971. His Highness has been known for his interest in humanitarian activities, passion about Culture, Literature and Scientific developments as well as his keenness on permanent human development in a stable global environment.
His Highness Sheikh Hamdan is nowadays presiding over several high level government Institutions and Authorities that play a vital role in supporting the economy and labor market in the UAE; the most important of which are as follows:
- Dubai Municipality - Al Maktoum Charity Authority - Dubai Aluminum Company LTD. - Dubai Natural Gas Company LTD. - Dubai World Trade Center - Emirates National Petroleum Company - Emirates National Oil Products Company - Oilfields Supply Center LTD.
His Highness was selected as the humanitarian character for 2000 for his support of several charitable projects in many poor countries.
In 2005, His Highness was also selected as the best international character in the area of Health, Education and Sports by the International Hospitals Federation.
Minister of Foreign Affairs
H.H Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan
His Highness Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan was born in 30 th April 1972. He has been holding the position of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the United Arab Emirates, a post to which he was appointed on 9th February 2006. Since 15th July 2006, he has also been Chairman of the Board of the National Media Council.
His other official posts include those of Chairman of the Board of Directors of Emirates Media Incorporated, since 24th January 1999, Deputy Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Emirates Foundation, since 12th July 2005, and Deputy Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Abu Dhabi Fund for Development, ADFD, since 31st December 2005.
A graduate in Political Science from the Emirates University, Al Ain, in 1995, Sheikh Abdullah's first official post was as Under Secretary of the Ministry of Information and Culture, which he held from 16th April 1995 to 23rd March 1997. On that date, he was appointed Minister of Information and Culture, a position which he continued to hold until 9th February 2006, when he became Minister of Foreign Affairs.
An active fan of football, he was Chairman of the UAE Football Association from 5th December 1993 to 19th May 2001 and has served as Chairman of the UAE Football Association since 2004.
Sheikh Abdullah is married and he has three children, Fatima, Mohammed and Zayed.
Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research
H.E Sheikh Nahyan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan
His Excellency Sheikh Nahyan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan received his education from the British Midfield School until the high secondary level. Afterwards, he joined Majdolin faculty at Oxford University-UK.
His Excellency Sheikh Nahyan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan has been appointed as Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research since February of 2006. He already served the position of Minister of Education during the period from 2004 to February of 2006. He has also served the position of Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research from 1990 until 2004.
His Highness Sheikh Nahyan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan is the United Arab Emirates Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research. He is also Chancellor of two of the UAE's three government-sponsored institutions of higher learning: United Arab Emirates University, established in 1976, and the Higher Colleges of Technology, established in 1988; he is also president of Zayed University, established in 1998.
Minister of Public Works
His Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan obtained a Bachelor Degree in Economies and Administration from the UAE University in 1982.
His Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan has distinctive managerial experience in the area of aviation and management. This experience has resulted form his academic study in Economics and Administration, a number of specialized training courses in the areas of aviation and business in the UK, and the positions he held over the last years. His Excellency Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan was appointed Minister of Public Works in February of 2004.
His Excellency is also the Chairman of Sheikh Zayed Housing Program, Chairman of National Transport Authority, Chairman of Higher Committee for UAE Civil Seaport and Airport Security of UAE, Chairman of the Executive Committee for Developing Rural Areas, Chairman of Royal Jet and Deputy Chairman of Abu Dhabi Aviation.
His Excellency held the position of "Chairman of Abu Dhabi Civil Aviation Department for 14 years. He has also been the Chairman of Gulf Aircraft Maintenance Company (GAMCO) for 10 years. In addition, he was also the Director of Gulf Air.
His Excellency has obtained Companionship in the Royal Aeronautical Society in 1999 and Honorary Livery of the Guild of Air Pilots and Air navigators in London.
Minister of Foreign Trade
H.E Sheikha Lubna Bint Khalid Al Qasimi
Her Excellency Sheikha Lubna Bint Khalid Al Qasimi is the first woman in the UAE to hold a ministerial position upon appointing her as Minister of Economy in November of 2004. Effective February of 2008, she is currently the Minister of Foreign Trade.
Her Excellency Sheikha Lubna Bint Khalid Al Qasimi holds a Bachelor Degree in Science from California State University in Chico of USA. She also has a Masters' Degree in Business Administration from the American University in Sharjah.
Her Excellency Sheikha Lubna held a number of positions including Dubai Branch Manager of General Authority of Specialized Information, Senior Manager of Information technology Management at Dubai Ports Authority, Head of Executive Team at Dubai E-Government, the person in charge of implementing initiatives of Dubai E-Government in the public sector, Chairman of “Tejari” currently, and CEO of the same company during 2000, Chairman of UAE Securities and Commodities Authority between 2004 and 2008, and Minister of Economy effective from November 2004 to February 2008.
Minister of Cabinet Affairs
H.E Mohammed A. AlGergawi holds the following positions :
• Minister of Cabinet Affairs of the Federal Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) • Deputy Chairman of the Ministerial Council for Services • Chairman of the Emirates Competitiveness Council• Deputy Chairman of the Emirates Investment Authority • Chairman of Dubai Holding
H.E AlGergawi is also a member of:
• Board of Directors of the UAE University • Board of Trustees of Abu Dhabi University • Honorary Fellow of London Business School
H.E Al Gergawi supervised a number of social initiatives:
• Dubai Autism Center• UAE Association of Handicapped Sports
Previously, H.E AlGergawi held several positions including :
• Secretary General of Dubai Government's Executive Council • Chairman of Dubai Investment and Development Authority • Managing Director of Dubai Media Incorporated.
H.E. AlGergawi received a number of honors and awards like the following:
• Moroccan Royal Order of Merit from His Majesty King Mohammed VI of Morocco • American Business Award from the American Business Council.
H.E. AlGergawi was born in Dubai, in 1963. He is a graduate of Business Administration from the US.
Minister of Energy
H.E Mohammed Bin Dhaen Al Hamli
His Excellency Mohamed Bin Dhaen Al Hamli was appointed as Minister of Energy of UAE in November 2004. He obtained a Higher Diploma in Business Administration in 1976, a Certificate in Chartered Auditing in 1979, and a Higher Diploma (Higher Studies) in Advanced Management and Chartered Accounting in 1988 from the UK& the USA.
In addition to his Ministerial position, His Excellency also occupies the position of Chairman of the Emirates General Petroleum Corporation(EMARAT) , the Chairman of the Federal Water and Electricity Authority (FEWA) and Deputy Chairman of the International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC) and a Member on the Advisory Committee for the Supreme Petroleum Council.
His Excellency also held other positions as shown below :
• Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC ) :
Positions held during (1989-2004 ) :
• Director , Marketing Refining • Director, Personnel • Director, Marketing • Director, Finance • UAE representative at OPEC from 1994 to 2002• Vice president of ADMA Marine Operating Company from June 1988 to February 1989 • Director General of ADNOC from March 1997 to October 1998
Minister of Economy
H.E Sultan bin Saeed Al Mansouri
His Excellency Sultan Bin Saeed Al Mansouri has been appointed as Minister of Economy in the UAE, effective 17 th of February, 2008. His Excellency Sultan holds a Bachelor's degree (B. Sc.) in Industrial Engineering & Management Systems from Arizona State University - USA . He also has a Diploma in Computer System Analysis from the Institute of Computer Technology, Los Angeles, California - USA .
In addition to his position as Minister of Economy, His Excellency Sultan holds the positions below :
• Chairman of the Supreme Committee for Consumer Protection • Chairman of the Coordinating and Economic Cooperation Committee • Chairman of the National Committee for the Follow-up Program of Investment Climate • Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Securities and Commodities Authority • Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Emirates Standards and Metrology Authority • Chairman of the insurance Authority • Chairman of the Federal Civil Aviation Authority• Member of the Ministerial Committee for Legislation• Member of the National Committee on Population Composition • Member of the Committee of Finance and Economy
In addition to his position, His Excellency Sultan holds the previous positions below:
• Senior Airport Coordinator, then Vice President Operations at Dubai Civil Aviation Authority during the period of 1988 - 1991 • Director - Dubai Cargo Village during the period of 1991 - 1996• Deputy Director General - Dubai Chamber of Commerce & Industry during the period of 1996 - 1998 • Group Managing Director of Saeed & Mohamed Al Naboodah Group during the period of 1998 - 2004 • Vice President of Dubai Islamic Bank during the period of 1999-2008 • Chairman of Aman (Dubai Islamic Insurance Company) during the period of 2002-2008 • Minister of Transport and Communications during the period of 2004 - 2006 • Minister of Government Sector Development during the period of 2006 – 2008 • Member of GCC Consulting Authority for Supreme council
Minister of Social Affairs
H.E Maryam Mohammed Khalfan Al Roumi
Her Excellency Maryam Mohammed Khalfan Al Roumi was appointed as Minister of Social Affairs for the UAE in February of 2006. She was born on the 2 nd of February, 1957. She obtained a Bachelor's Degree in English Literature from the UAE University in 1980. She has a wide practical experience in Community Affairs and Management that she gained through her academic study and the positions she assumed as shown below :
• Publication Superintendent of Marketing Department/Emirates Telecommunications Corporation Etisalat from April 1981 to February 1982. • Assistant in English Literature at UAE University from March 1983 to August 1983. • Chairman of UAE Special Olympics from 1989 to 1994. • Director of Abu Dhabi's Handicapped Rehabilitation Center and Director of Center for Special Needs within the Ministry of Labor & Social Affairs from April 1984 to February 1999. • Chairman of The Higher Advisory Committee for The Women Higher Colleges of Technology-Abu Dhabi during the period of 1990 - 1994. • Undersecretary of Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs – Social Affairs Department from February 1999 to January 2006. • Board Member of Dubai Medical City, Government of Dubai from October 2001 till April 2006. • Board Member of Marriage Fund from March of 2005 to March of 2008. • Chairman of Marriage Fund Establishment from March of 2006 to March of 2008. • Minister of Social Affairs from February 2006 to date.
Her Excellency participated in the membership of a number of non-profit associations and national organizations such as the following :
• Board Member of General Women's Union from 1984 till 186. • Founding Member of the Handicapped Sports Association -1986 • Chairman of special Olympiad in the UAE from 1987.• Board Member of Emirates Association of the Handicapped Sports during the period of 1999 - 2000.
Minister of Education
H.E Humaid Mohammed Obaid Al Qatami
His Excellency Humaid Mohamed Obaid Al Qutami has been appointed as Minister of Education in May of 2009, after holding the post of Minister of Health for the period 2006-2009.
He was born in 1959. He holds a Master's Degree in Administration from Western Michigan University-USA in 1985.
In addition to his ministerial position, His Excellency/Humaid Mohamed Obaid Al Qutami also holds the positions below :
• Chairman of Human Resource Federal Authority • Chairman of General Information Authority • Chairman of Emirates Transport • Chairman of Health Services Financial Fund • Chairman of the Board of Trustees for Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Medical Sciences Award • Chairman of the Board of Trustees for Sharjah Voluntary Work Award • Chairman of the Board of Trustees for Best Arabian Health Project Award
His Excellency Humaid Al Qutami has held the posts below in the past:
• Chairman of The Civil Service Council until February of 2008 • Director General of Emirates Institute for Banking and Financial Studies for the period of 1991-2006. • Secretary General for the Human Resources Committee in Banking Sector for the period of 1996-2006 • Member of the National Electoral Committee for 2006 • Member of the Nationalization Higher Committee in the Insurance Sector for the period of 1997-2006 • Board Member for National Human Resource Development & Employment Authority for the period of 2001-2005
• Chairman of the Board for the Environment Friends Society for the period of 1990-1997 • Chairman of the Board for Emirates Volunteers Association for the period of 1997-2006 • Founding Member for Emirates Society for Consumer Protection
He is also an approved Lecturer and Trainer at the Emirates Institute for Banking and Financial Studies, the Administrative Development Institute (formerly), and Arab Banks Union. He is also a Member of the Consultative Board of the School of Business Administration at the American University of Sharjah, and a Member of the Consultative Board of the School of Administrative & Economic Sciences at UAE University in Al Ain.
Minister of Health
H.E Dr. Hanif Hasan Ali
His Excellency Dr. Hanif Hasan Ali has been appointed as Minister of Health for the UAE in May of 2009 , after holding the post of Minister of Education for the period 2006 - 2009. He was born in 1960. He obtained a Doctorate Degree in Islamic Studies from Umm Al Qura University-Holy Mecca-KSA in 1993. His Excellency has a long practical experience in the area of Education and Effective Management gained though his academic study and previous work. His Excellency served the positions below : • Minister of Education (2006-2009).• Director of Zayed University-UAE from 1998 to 2006.. • Director of Abu Dhabi Education Council-September of 2005. • Assistant Professor-Islamic Studies section-Faculty of Human and Social Sciences-UAE from 1997 to 1998. • Chairman of Islamic Studies Section- Faculty of Human and Social Sciences-UAE from 1997 to 1998. • Under Secretary of Faculty of Human and Social Sciences-University of the UAE from 1996 to 1998. • Member of The Higher Executive Committee for Academic Scholarships-Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research-UAE from 1993 to 1999. • Visiting Professor-Faculty of Law-Harvard University-Boston-USA (1996). His Excellency is also a member of the local councils below: • Vice Chairman of Documents and Research Center from February of 2005 and he is currently a member of the Board since 2009. • Board Member and of the Abu Dhabi Education Council, Member and Chairman Formerly . • Member on the board of trustees for the Al Maktoum Charitable Authority since December 2005 • Chairman of the board of trustees for the Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Educational Excellence (February 2006) .• Chairman of the National Committee for education, culture and sciences (February 2006) .
Minister of Culture, Youth and Community Development
H.E AbdulRahman Mohammed Al Oweis
His Excellency Abdulrahman Bin Mohammad Naser Al-Owais was appointed as Minister of Culture, Youth and Community Development for the UAE in 2006. He was born in the Emirate of Sharjah-UAE in 1967. His Excellency holds a Bachelor Degree in Accounting and Information Systems from the UAE University in 1988.
His Excellency has a long practical experience in the area of Culture, Community Development and Effective Management that he gained through serving the positions below :
• Member on the Board of Trustees of Sultan Bin Ali Al-Owais Cultural Foundation from 1992 to date. • Board Member of Emirates Media Incorporated during the period from 2001 to 2006. • Chairman of the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority during the period from 2004 to 2005. • Board Member of the Sharjah Chamber of Commerce and Industry during the period from 2004 to 2006. • Board Member of the Emirates Real Estate Bank during the period from 2004 to 2006.
• a founding member in the Honorary Council of the Sharjah Sports Club
• Chairman of the General Authority for Youth and Sports effective 2006 to date. • Vice-President of the National Media Council effective 2008 to date.
His Excellency also has several cultural interests; mainly Arabic Calligraphy and Modern Arab Art.
Minister of State for Foreign Affairs/ Minister of State for Federal National Council Affairs
H.E Dr. Anwar Mohammed Qarqash
His Excellency Dr. Anwar Mohammed Gargash was appointed in 2006 as Minister of State for Federal National Council Affairs. In February of 2008, he was also appointed as Minister of State for Foreign Affairs.
His Excellency obtained (Ph. D.) from King's College, Cambridge University-UK, and he also holds a Bachelor's degree and a Master's Degree in Political Science from George Washington University-USA. In addition to his ministerial position, His Excellency holds the positions below :
• Chairman of the Permanent Committee for Monitoring UAE's Image Abroad effective 2007 to date. • Chairman of the National Committee to Combat Human Trafficking effective 2007 to date.
• Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Dubai School of Government effective 2008 to date. • Chairman of the Board of Trustees' Sultan Bin Ali Al Owais Cultural Foundation effective 1995 to date. • Deputy Chairman of the Permanent National Committee for Demographic Structure effective 2008 to date. • Member of the National Curriculum Development Committee effective 2008 to date. • Member of the Ministerial Legislative Committee effective 2006 to date. • Member of the Board of Trustees' of the Emirates Nationals Development Program effective 2005 to date. • Member of the Dubai Economic Council effective 2003 to date.
His Excellency has already held several positions at the Local and Federal Level; the most important of which were as follows :
• Chairman of the National Election Committee during the period from 8/2006 to 2/2007. • Board Member of the Emirates Media establishment during the period from 1999 to 2007. • Board member on the Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry DCCI during the period from 1997-2006
Minister of Labor
H.E Saqr Ighbash Saeed Ighbash
His Excellency Saqr Ghobassh Saeed Ghobassh was appointed Minister of Labor for the UAE in February 2008.
His Excellency was born in 1952 in the Emirate of Ras Al Khaimah. He obtained a Bachelor Degree in Administration from the UAE University in 1986 after graduating from the Police college of Sudan in 1973.
In addition to his position as minister of labor, His Excellency holds the positions below :
• Chairman of the National Media Council. • Member of the National Committee on Education, Culture and Science.
His Excellency has already served the positions below :
• Ambassador of the UAE in the USA at the ministerial level during the period from October 2000 till February of 2008.
Minister of Justice
H.E Dr. Hadef Jawa'an Al Dhaheri
His Excellency Dr. Hadef Jouan Al Dhahiri was appointed as Minister of Justice for the UAE on February 2008 .
His Excellency obtained a (Ph. D.) in Constitutional Law from Cambridge University-UK in 1991 and holds an LLM in Comparative Law from Harvard University, USA. In his capacity as Minister of Justice, he holds the position of President of the Supreme Judicial Council, Chairman of the board of Directors of the Zakat Fund, and Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Institute of Training and Judicial Studies.
His Excellency served in the position of Vice Chancellor of the UAE University during the period from 1994 to 2007 and as a faculty Member in the Faculty of Sharia and Law at the UAE University. He also worked as a Legal Advisor for the Government of Abu Dhabi during the period from 1993 to 1994. He is also a Founder & Partner of Hadef Al Dhahiri & Associates Advocates & Legal Consultants during the period from 1980 to 2007.
His Excellency is also a member in the following Councils and Authorities:
• Vice President and President of the Consultative Body for the Supreme Council of the GCC during the period of 2006- 2007. • Member of the Board of Directors of the Dubai Centre for Commercial Arbitration during the period from 2004 to present • Member of the Board of Directors of Water & Electricity of Abu Dhabi during the period from 1999 to present • Member of the Advisory Body for the Supreme Council of the GCC during the period from 1998 to present. • Member of the Board of Trustees of the Prize of Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid for Medical Sciences during the period of 1998- 2007
Minister of Environment and Water
H.E Dr. Rashid Ahmed bin Fahd
His Excellency Dr. Rashid Ahmad Bin Fahad was appointed as Minister of Environment and Water for the UAE in February of 2008. He was born in Dubai-UAE in 1964. He has the academic qualifications described below :
• (Ph.D.) in Civil Engineering Environmental Health from The University of Strathclyde -Glasgow -UK in 2001. • (M.Sc.) in Environmental Science from the UAE University -Al Ain in 1994. • (B.Sc.) in Chemical Engineering from Northeastern University, Boston, Mass-USA in 1989.
In addition to his ministerial position, he has been holding the position of Board Vice Chairman of the Emirates Authority for Standardization and Metrology since 2006 to date.
His Excellency already served the positions below :
• Secretary General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Standardization Organization (GSO)-Riyadh-KSA during the period of 2004-2008 • Deputy Director General of the Emirates Authority for Standardization and Metrology (ESMA) -Abu Dhabi between 2003-2004 • Head of the Food and Environment Laboratory - Dubai Municipality during the period of 1997-2003 • Process Engineer-Dubai Municipality during the period of 1989-1997.
In addition, His Excellency is also a member of a number of Local and International Committees and Associations as outlined below:
Minister of State for Financial Affairs
H.E Obaid Humaid Al Tayer
Graduated from University of Colorado , Boulder , Colorado , U.S.A. with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering.
His Excellency has held the positions outlined below:
Chairman Dubai Chamber of Commerce & Industry (September 2000 – March 2008) 1 st Vice ChairmanDubai Chamber of Commerce & Industry (1991 – 1997)
Board MemberDubai Chamber of Commerce & Industry (1982 – 1991)
Chairman of Al-Tayer Group of CompaniesThe Group has diversified commercial activities operating in multiple sectors, including automotive, contracting, distribution, publishing, retail, and services with operations in the GCC countries.
Former Member Former Member of Federal National Council (1981-1985)Former Member of Etisalat Board of Directors (1981 – 1991) Former Member of Dubai Municipal Council (1982 – 1990) Former Member of Dubai Economic Council (2004-2008)
International recognitions L'Ordre National Du Mérite conferred by the President of the Republic of France in 2003. Grand Official “Ordine della Stella della Solidarieta Italiana” conferred by the President of the Republic of Italy in 2007.
Minister of State
H.E Dr. Maitha' Salem Al Shamsi
Dr. Maitha Salem Al Shamsi is the Minister of State in the UAE Cabinet and in this capacity, she heads the Marriage Fund of Abu Dhabi. She has also retained the position of Research Advisor of the UAE University (UAEU). She has served the UAEU as the Deputy Vice Chancellor and Assistant Provost for Research for many years. She is an international expert on issues regarding scientific research and higher education and represents the UAE at regional and international forums.
She has been associated with the UNICEF as the member of the Regional Scientific Committee, and she contributes regularly to UN ESCWA on issues related to population and immigration in the Arab World. She sits on many national and international boards, councils and committees in the UAE and in GCC countries on Science and Technology.
Dr. Maitha has special interests in women and population and manpower issues in the GCC countries and has written many books on women, family and society. She is also the Advisor to H. H. Sheikha Fatima, President of Family Development Foundation and the wife of the founding father of the UAE, late Sheikh Zayed Al Nahayan .
She is a Member of the Research Advisory Committee of Harvard Medical School Dubai Center (HMSDC), Member of the Advisory committee of the Swedish Institute Alexandria and Member of the Management Council of Sorbonne University.
She has also won the Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Arab Administration in 2003.
Minister of State H.E Reem Ebrahim Al Hashimy
H.E. Reem Al Hashimy was sworn in as Minister of State in the Cabinet of the United Arab Emirates in February 2008.
H.E. Al Hashimy is Chairperson of Dubai Cares, a UAE-based charitable establishment launched in September 2007 by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, with the aim of improving children’s access to primary education in developing nations.
H.E. Al Hashimy is the Chairperson of Emirates Competitiveness Council. The Council is working together in partnership with public and private entities to endorse policies and undertake actions which will drive the UAE’s competitiveness agenda to achieve sustainable growth and prosperity.
H.E. Al Hashimy is the Managing Director of Dubai’s Expo 2020 executive body that will be responsible for the UAE's international bid to host EXPO 2020, one of the world's oldest and largest international events.
H.E. Al Hashimy is the Chairperson of National Bureau of Statistics, a government body that provides Up-to-Date High Quality Statistical Data and Information, which Contribute in Decision Making, Policy Design and Performance Evaluation.
H.E. Al Hashimy has experience in international affairs, beginning her career as Commercial Attaché and, subsequently, as Deputy Chief of Mission at the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates in Washington, D.C. Her Excellency completed the undergraduate studies at Tufts University, where she earned B.A. degrees in International Relations and French. She also holds a Masters Degree from Harvard University.