The Union , its fundamental constituents and aims
The United Arab Emirates is an independent, sovereign , federal state and is referred to hereafter in this Constitution as the Union. The Union shall consist of the following Emirates;
Abu Dhabi – Dubai – Sharjah – Ajman – Umm Al Quwain – Fujairah – Ras Al Khaimah
Any other independent Arab country may join the Union provided that the Supreme Council agrees unanimously to this.
The Union shall exercise sovereignty in matters assigned to it in accordance with this Constitution over all territory and territorial waters lying within the international boundaries of the member Emirates.
The member Emirates shall exercise sovereignty over their own territories and territorial waters in all matters, which are not within the jurisdiction of the Union as assigned in this Constitution .
The Union may not cede its sovereignty or relinquish any part of its territories or waters.
The Union shall have a Flag , an Emblem and a National Anthem . The Flag and the Emblem shall be prescribed by Law Each Emirate shall retain its own flag for use within it is territories .
The Union is a part of the Great Arab Nation to which it is bound by the ties of religion, language, history and common destiny .
The people of the Union are one people, and one part of the Arab Nation .
Islam is the official religion of the Union. The Islamic Tiara's shall be a main source of legislation in the Union. The official language of the Union is Arabic .
The citizens of the Union shall have a single nationality, which shall be prescribed by law. When abroad , they shall enjoy , the protection of the Union Government in accordance with accepted international principals .
No citizen of the Union may be deprived of his nationality nor may his nationality be withdrawn save in exceptional Circumstances, which shall be defined by law.
1. The Capital of the Union shall be established in an area allotted to the Union by the Emirates of Abu Dhabi and Dubai on the borders between them and it shall be given the name ''Al Karama''.
2. There shall be allocated in the Union budget for the first year the amount necessary to cover the expenses of technical studies and planning for the Construction of the Capital . However, Construction work shall begin as soon as possible and shall be completed in not more than seven years from the date of entry into force of this Constitution.
3. Until the Construction of the Union Capital is complete, Abu Dhai shall be the provisional headquarters of the Union.
The aims of the Union shall be the maintenance of its independence and sovereignty . The safeguard of its security and stability . The defence against any aggression upon its existence or the existence of its member states . The protection of the rights and liabilities of the people of the Union . The achievement of close co – operation between the Emirates for their common benefit in realising these aims and in promoting their prosperity and progress in all fields . The provision of a better life for all citizens together with respect by each emirate for the independence and sovereignty of the other Emirates in their internal affairs within the framework of this constitution.
1. The Emirates of the Union shall form an economic and customs entity. Union laws shall regulate the progressive stages appropriate to the achievement of this entity.
2. The free movement of all capital and goods between the Emirates of the Union is guaranteed and may not be restricted except by a Union law.
3. All taxes fees, duties and tolls imposed on the movement of goods from one member emirate to the other shall be abolished
The foreign policy of the Union shall be directed towards support for Arab and Islamic causes and interests and towards the consolidation of the bonds friendship and co- operation with all nations and peoples on the basis of the principles of the charter of the United Nations and ideal international standards.